What if I told you bone broth was the ingredient you have been missing in order to stay healthy during the dreaded flu and cold season?
Bone broth has benefits that are relevant all year around but we automatically think of soups and warm beverages as we transition from summer to fall. That’s why I thought it would be the perfect time to share ways to stay healthy with bone broth in the months to come.
In this article you will:
- Learn what bone broth is and it is made
- Discover the main protein that makes it beneficial
- Get a list of all of the amazing benefits of bone broth
- Received a free recipe for delicious homemade broth
Disclosures: This post contains affiliate links. LEARN MORE HERE (but basically it just means that if you purchase the item through the link on this page, we get a small commission and are super appreciative!)
What is bone broth?
I bet you have heard of stock before. You can find this popular cooking ingredient in every local grocery store on the soup aisle. Stock and bone broth are essentially the same. Bone broth is just upgraded stock. They are both the result of animal bones that have been cooked down which creates a juice.
There are a few differences between the two. One difference is the cook time. Stock is cooked down for about 4-6 hours. Bone broth is cooked up to 48 hours. Because it has a higher cook time, it has a thicker consistency because of the collagen that is extracted out of the bones along with all of the vitamins and minerals. ADDED BONUS!
What Is Collagen
Collagen is the major protein in our bones, tissue, joints, muscles, skin, hair, tendons, ligaments and nails. It is responsible for giving structure to these areas. You can say it’s the glue that hold them all together. It also promotes elasticity.
Our bodies produce collagen but as we age, it starts slowing down… and slowing down… and slowing down. In fact, by the time were in our 30’s, our collagen production slows down so much and…welcome wrinkles and joint pain.
There is good news!
That’s where bone broth comes into play. Since collagen is found in high protein foods including chicken and beef, bone broth is a great way to add collagen back into our body.
Other benefits of Bone Broth
The second thing that sets bone broth apart from stock, aside from being an amazing way to naturally supplement collagen, bone broth is packed with nutrients and has benefits such as:
- Treats digestive issues such as leaky gut syndrome
- Boost your immune system
- Reduces cellulite
- Improves joint pain
- Adds protein to your diet
- Reduces inflammation
- Highly nutritious
History Behind Bone Broth
If you are asking yourself “where has bone broth been all my life”? Join the club! If it is so good for us, why are we just now hearing about it?
I have been putting pieces together from things I have been watching and reading over the past year and it ALL MAKES SENSE! While studying about bone broth, I had one of my Aha! Moments.
The use of bone broth has been around for a really long time. It was commonly used back in the day because it was considered wasteful to eat the meat off of an animal and not make broth.
Then, convenience happened. The way Americans ate during WWI changed because of a food shortage epidemic. People started looking for ways to “Help” this shortage so they started finding alternative ways to cook.
Then comes the supermarkets and fast food restaurants. We went from making and growing all of our food to being considered one of the most unhealthiest countries in the world. Almost half of us are considered obese.
Healthy Culture In The Making
This is what I think. Over the past 10 or so years, Americans have come to realize just how unhealthy we really are. Even those who considered themselves to be “healthy” looked healthy from the outside but are lacking nutrients vital for optimal health.
People started to see how diet and lifestyle are the cause of major health concerns and we have seen people we love die from cancer and heart related conditions. We knew something had to change.
We started looking for ways to change our outcome and reputation. People are now looking for a more natural approach to medicines and supplementing deficiencies so we can live our best life.
The more research we do, the more we find ways to improve our quality of life.
Bone broth is considered to be more than a superfood. If we can add just one cup a day, it will benefit us in ways we can’t even imagine.
We can make America healthy again, one cup at a time.
What kind of bone broth?
Now that you know all of the amazing benefits of one cup of bone broth a day, all that’s left is to get some.There are basically two ways. Make it or buy it.
Make Bone Broth
If you have a slow cooker, you can knock it out in 18-36 hours.
Slow Cooker Broth
- 3-4 lbs of mixed bones
- 2 whole carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 onions
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 10-12 cups of water
Bone Broth Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Place bones on a pan; roast for 60 min and flip over half way
- While you wait, chop the veggies and then as well as the other ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Set on low and cook for 18-36 hours or until the broth turns brown.
- Remove the large pieces with a strainer. All that should be left is a nice golden brown broth.
- Transfer broth into jars and refrigerate immediately
- Once it is completely cooled, remove the top fat layer
Buy Bone Broth
There are a lot of products on the market. When looking for bone broth, you want to make sure the bones are coming from Grass-fed, organic and farm raised animals. That’s why I recommend Kettle and Fire. They use only organic animals and vegetables. The broth is free from dairy, gluten and soy.
Bone Broth Tablet Supplements
This is the perfect option for people who just want to take a tablet and be done. You get all of the nutrients from the bone in one tablet.
WHOLE BONE EXTRACT CONTAINS…
- Bone Matrix, Bone Marrow And Cartilage
- Nutrients Exclusively Found And Expressed In Whole Bone Extract
- High Concentrations Of Stem Cells And Base Cells
- Collagen, Growth Factors And Fat Soluble Activators
- Glycosaminoglycans Naturally Present in Bone Matrix
WHOLE BONE EXTRACT SUPPORTS…
- Bone Health (think bones, marrow and teeth)… Based On “Like Supports Like”
- Connective Tissue Health (think ligaments, tendons, cartilage, skin)…Based On “Like Supports Like”
- Dental Health And Immune Health
- Supports And Repairs Cellular Damage
How to use Bone Broth
Once you have either purchased or made your broth, there are a few ways to get your cup a day in.
- Warm up a cup and drink it – I recommend adding to your evening routine and drinking with your dinner.
- Make it in a soup – Add ingredients to it and eat it as one of your meal
- Make it Bulletproof -Replace it with your coffee in the morning. Mix 20 oz of warm Kettle and Fire with 2 tbsp of melted unsalted butter and a tablespoon of MCT oil and blend together.
- Get it however you can
Enjoy and watch the benefits take place.
Join the “One Cup A Day” Movement.
Well, there isn’t one yet but I want to make this happen and i can only do it with you. Take a selfie of yourself drinking your cup and share on instagram #onecupaday
We can make this happen. What if we can change America’s reputation? What if all it takes is one cup? It’s definitely worth finding out.
Now it’s your turn
I hope you enjoyed this post intended for optimal health.
Now, I would love to hear from you:
Which supplement from this post are you excited to try?
Let me know by leaving a quick comment below.
If you found this post helpful please don’t hesitate to share it with your friends. Also, be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out on upcoming posts full of tips and tricks to make your health journey easier.
If you enjoyed this article you should definitely check out some of my recent post!