Water is important for our overall health and wellness because hydration is essential for our organs and other bodily functions. Drinking an adequate amount of water each day will benefit your body in ways you may not be aware of. In fact, drinking water has many benefits and is the healthiest habit you can have.
In this article you will:
- Understand why we need water
- See the warning signs of dehydration
- Learn the benefits we get from drinking water
- Learn the disadvantage of drinking so much water
- Hopefully, take away something that will motivate you to drink more water!
Disclosure, this article may contain affiliate links. All this means to you is we get a small commission if you purchase anything through our articles. We only recommend products that we feel will optimize your health.
Why Do We Need To Drink Water Anyway?
The main reason we should drink water is to replace water that our body naturally looses throughout the day. This happens in a few different ways like sweating, urination, and breathing. Our bodies are made up of around 60ish% of water and it surrounds our organs and cells. Replacing that water is needed to stay properly hydrated. We need to make sure our body maintains that 60%. If we lose more than we take in, we will experience dehydration and other symptoms associated with the imbalance.
Symptoms Of Dehydration
- Not Urinating or Urinating Very Little
- Excessive Thirst and Dry Mouth
- Dark Color Urine
You can experience dehydration if you are not drinking enough water. If you start noticing any of these symptoms, increase your water intake. If you find yourself having diarrhea for 24 hours, disoriented or sleeping more than usual, contact your doctor.
We know the obvious reasons we need to drink water. There are so many other amazing benefits we get just from drinking water.
- Helps keep you regular – Water is essential for digestion and helps prevent constipation.
- Prevents cramps – Hydration keeps our joints and muscles properly lubricated for optimal performance.
- Keeps your kidneys – Water is essential for our kidneys to function properly. Our kidneys act as a filter for our blood and remove extra water and toxins to make urine. Drinking water helps your kidneys do their job. Water also prevents kidney stones from forming and decreases your risk from kidney problems.
- Helps dissolve vitamins and minerals – Water dissolves vitamins and minerals allowing them more accessible for our body.
- Has a positive effect on your brain – Dehydration can lead to poor brain function. Drinking keeps our brains properly hydrated and allows us to think clearly and optimize our brain health.
- Flushes out toxins – Water is needed in the processes of sweating and removal of urine.
- Aids in weight loss – Water may also help with weight loss because it has zero calories. Drinking water prior to eating can help prevent overeating by making you feel full. It also increases your metabolic rate.
- Maximizes performance and increases energy – Dehydration can reduce your performance drastically and causes fatigue. Drinking the proper amount of water each day will Optimize not only performance but your energy level as well.
- Improves skin – Water has a huge role in the appearance of your skin and gives you a healthy and youthful appearance.
There are so many other benefits to water but I will stop here for now. The gist is that our WHOLE body deserves it and requires it for our overall health and wellness.
Disadvantage Of Drinking So Much Water
The only disadvantage I can even think of is our plastic pollution epidemic happening as we speak. Around 80% of water bottles end up in landfills. WE ARE NOT RECYCLING! We are starting to understand how important water is for our health and that is so awesome! Americans are buying 30 billion water bottles a year.
The issue is we are still looking for a convenient and most economical option. We are buying cases and cases of the cheapest water we can find. A recent study shows only 1 out of 6 people will recycle their bottles when they are done. When ONE bottle goes to the landfill, it takes 1000 years to decompose.
Our earth is overwhelmed by the number of water bottles hanging around. We’re talking 2 million tons just on American soil alone! And that is only what is intentionally thrown away. What about the litterbugs that toss them out on the streets or bottles that get lost in the process? They end up in our oceans or getting washed up on our once beautiful beaches.
This picture isn’t extreme. This is what some parts of our country/world have to deal with because of neglect.
This picture was taken right here in America.
What we don’t see or hear about is the animals that die every day because of their polluted environment.
You can do something about this!
#1-Recycle and Encourage others to do so as well.
#2-Invest in a glass water bottle and refill it instead of continuously grabbing a new plastic bottle.
What does it mean to be “Smart”
Being “Smart” means a couple of things.
- To be informed and having intelligence
- A device programmed to be capable of some independent action
We tend to think of our brain and our intelligence but “nowadays” the word “smart” is used with many products and is referred to as a way of living with technology.
Smart technology is intended to free up your time and basically make life easier by doing things for you.
Bellabeat Spring Smart Water Bottle
Yes, there is actually a Smart water bottle. I personally love Bellabeat Spring Smart Water Bottle for many reasons. It is environmentally friendly and you don’t have to worry if you got enough water for the day.
With an app, this smart water bottle tracks your daily hydration and sends you reminders throughout the day. It also calculates the appropriate amount of water you need for the day based on your activity level, age, weight, height, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding and even bases it on the weather at the time.
It is made of glass and is BPA free. Get this… It doesn’t need recharging! WHAT!? This thing is awesome!
Bellabeat Spring is the perfect Mother’s Day, birthday gift for her or a gift for yourself for no special occasion whatsoever. She/you will love it!
You can order it NOW just by clicking the link below. Bellabeat has given us the opportunity to give our readers 10%off! When you check out, use coupon code OPTIMIZED-LIFE.
ORDER BELLABEAT SPRING SMART WATER BOTTLE HERE
We also recommend MegaHydrate!
- Hydrates the body
- Acts as a powerful antioxidant
- Protects against free radicals
- Combats dehydration
- Alkalizes the body
- Neutralizes degeneration
- Removes toxins
- Hydrates skin, hair, and nails
Adding MegaHydrate to your day will increase your hydration and allows you to get all of the benefits that come with it.
I always like to mention that we here at Optimized Life focus on providing information and suggesting products that we feel will help you Optimize your Life and help you live your best and healthiest life possible.
DISCLAIMER: This is a dietary supplement. The statements made about this product have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.
Glad you posted this! So many people need to know the great benefits!
Thanks for this informative post! We live in a high altitude region so we are constantly drinking water!
Wow! Those stats about the lack of recycling are terrifying! We need to do better by our planet
Thanks for this informative post. Really need to fuel my body with water!
Pingback: Zero Waste Alternatives for Plastic Free July | TREE CHIC Eco Boutique
Pingback: Is drinking rain water a good option for you?