I love walking into target and seeing all of the pastel colors, swimsuits and cleaning products as soon as I enter the store. It gives me spring fever! Since the groundhog said spring will be here early this year, I felt it was necessary to write this article ASAP.
In this article we will:
- Explain why every home should “spring clean”
- Give practical tips on how to get everyone in your house involved
- Discuss the importance of Nontoxic cleaners
- Offer ideas on how to brighten up any room
What is the point of spring cleaning?
Spring cleaning is when you go through your home like a crazy person and declutter, reorganize and clean everything from top to bottom, inside and out. You (and your family) benefit from this tradition for a few reasons. Productivity increases when there is organization, you get rid of dust and allergens that could make you and your family sick, reduces stress around the house and helps you stay focused.
If our homes are messy and unorganized, everyone will feel the effects; it has an effect on how the brain processes information as well as our physical and mental health. Spring cleaning doesn’t just make your home look amazing, it feels good too!
Our home has 5 people living in it. This means 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 4 messy closets, 4 beds with crap underneath, lots of storage closets with things crammed inside and a thousand pieces of clothing items to go through.
Needless to say, I need to organize my spring cleaning day!
Here are a few beginners tips for spring cleaning
If you have older kids, get them involved. Each kid cleans their own room.
The most important thing to remember is to delegate and don’t negotiate. Maintain control. Don’t look them in the eye…they will try to get out of helping.
- Set the mood… Open windows and let the breeze blow in. Put on some good music to get everyone moving. Put your favorite essential oil aroma in the air.
- Open windows and let the breeze blow in. Put on some good music to get everyone moving. Put your favorite essential oil aroma in the air.
- Make a schedule or to-do list. Think of the areas you typically overlook while doing your routine cleaning. For me, it’s window seals, baseboards, walls, pulling out furniture and dusting fans. I’m sure you have your areas. I am about to be transparent for a moment… My house might look clean. I feel like I spend half of my day cleaning but trust me, it just looks that way on the surface. So these are the times I really look forward to getting down to the nitty gritty!
- Go through and get rid of anything you can’t or won’t wear. If you didn’t wear it last season, you won’t wear it this season either so donate it! The same goes for your family.
- Non-Toxic cleaning products. There is no need in cleaning your home if you just add toxic chemicals back in. You can use common household products that are easily made into DIY cleaners like vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, essential oils, olive oil and borax. There are also brands that make amazing nontoxic cleaning products ready to use. Method, Seventh Generation, Mrs. Myers and Common Good have been ranked the best all around products on the internet.
- Start each room off by making the bed. A made bed makes the room instantly look and feel cleaner. This includes pulling out everything from under the bed.
- Celebrate when it’s all done. Create a special tradition your family will look forward to. It can be going out for ice cream, make a fun dinner or a family outing.
- Add in a few new things to brighten up your room and make it look so fresh and so clean. If there is a room you want painted but keep putting it off… now is that time! A freshly painted room feels amazing after its nice and clean. Try adding a couple if bright throw pillow on your sofa or bed.
- Rearrange your furniture! I am a pro at this. There is a good reason why. It allows you to optimize your space and be creative. Try these tricks… Have a focal point, dont push your furniture against the wall and make sure there is a comfortable conversation area. The right rug really adds personality to any room.
Must Have spring decor to brighten up any room
After you have completely cleaned your home and it looks (and feels) fabulous, you need to add a few pieces to make your home feel alive. I wanted to give you a way to view them and check our their reviews so you can choose the brand that is more appealing to you . We are an affiliate for Amazion and we do get a commission for any products you purchase through our website.
- I love these faux floral arrangements! They add a pop of color without the possibility of them dying. That’s my kind of plant! I can see these scattered around the house. One on a book shelf, one in the kitchen, one on top of a book on an end table or even in the bathroom on a shelf .
- This HELLO SPRING throw pillow would be perfect on your favorite accent chair or on your bed.
- Front door tulip wreath would add beautiful curb appeal to any home
We would love to know what your favorite spring cleaning traditions are. Comment below and share your ideas with us!
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends. Here are a few more recent articles for your coffee time.