It’s time for you to send your baby, I mean freshman off to college. If you are looking for the perfect essential dorm room checklist, plus what they need to take in order to protect themselves from COVID, you found it!
Bedroom Essentials For Dorm Room:
- Comforter set for bed
- Sheet (plus an extra set or two)
- Pillows and pillowcases
- Alarm clock: Yes, an actual alarm clock.
- Computer or laptop
- Personal desk lamp
- Clothes hanger
- Headphones to listen to music or ebooks
- Room decorations to add a little personality to your half of the dorm
- Stackable storage boxes for organizing stuff
- Extra throw blanket
- Closet organizer
- Bulletin board and desk organization items
- HDMI cord
- Small TV or tablet to watch tv on (or you can use your laptop)
Bathroom Essentials For Dorm Room:
- Towels and washcloths: Pick a color that will set yours apart from your roommates or even write your name on them somewhere
- Shower caddy to carry toiletries
- Robe (with belt)
- Shower shoes
Laundry Essentials For Dorm Room
- Laundry basket easily carries
- Laundry detergent
- Dryer sheets
- Ironing board (half size) and iron (with automatic off)
Kitchen Essentials For Dorm Room:
- Mini Fridge
- Single-cup coffee maker
- Plastic cups
- Microwave-safe bowls
- Food storage containers
- Coffee mug
- Water bottle
- Dish soap
- Small dish towel
- Disposable forks and spoons
- Can opener
- Oven mitt
- Pot & Pan
- Ziplock bags
- Bike lock
- Medical card
- Extra chargers and cords
- Drivers license
- Small tool kit
- Small sowing kit
- A way to stay organized with school work
For COVID Prevention
- Hand Sanitizer
- Face coverings
- Disinfectant wipes
- Disposable gloves
- Hand soap
- No-touch trash can
Organizing Tips To Declutter Dorm:
I wanted to share a few ideas I had while making this list as well as speaking to other moms who have already “Been there and done that”.
I mentioned above your college student will need stackable organizers. I would also buy a way to label them. Since they will share a room, keeping his/her on their side and as organized as possible is best. You can label one box “snacks”, another “bathroom stuff“, “toiletries” etc.
Store boxes under bed to save space.
Look for furniture that has multiple uses
Behind the door storage make a good use of unused space
Add shelving above the bed
Carts make great side tables
Find a desk that has a hutch for more storage
Use clip lights to save space
I hope this list helped!
Make sure you check with he school prior to purchasing these items. You need to know what is already in the dorm room and what the layout is so you know what to buy.
Comment below if I missed something!
I love dorm room shopping! I had so much fun before my freshmen year planning out how I wanted to decorate and organize things. My dorms were TINY so lots of storage was a necessity haha I loved carts and storage containers with lots of drawers/cubes!
Where was this when I was going off to university. This is a very useful list. Thanks for sharing!
Great post. I am living with my parents but there are lots of things I wish I had in my room, like stackable organizer and table light.
Great post! I am a college student heading to another university this fall, and this list really comes in clutch! 💯🔥